Ritual and ceremony on the Summer Solstice
Summer is a time of giving gratitude for all of the abundance that flows from the earth, all of the beauty, and all of the help in your life from people and from the spirit world. Celebrate Summer Solstice by honoring, and spending time in nature. Contemplate the beauty of your life. Dance, purify your body and home, be filled with passion, and enjoy being alive.
Sol + stice derives from a combination of Latin words meaning "sun" + "to stand still." As the days lengthen, the sun rises higher and higher until it seems to stand still in the sky.
As a major celestial event, the Summer Solstice results in the longest day and the shortest night of the year. The Northern Hemisphere celebrates in June, but the people on the Southern half of the earth have their longest summer day in December.
Suggestions for ritual and celebration
Rituals for the Summer Solstice are best done outside and during the day when the Sun is shining brightly. If you cannot go outside for your ritual, make sure that the Sun light comes through your windows.
1. Summer is a good time to celebrate the energy of fire for it is a purifying, warming energy. A fire ceremony would be appropriate if weather conditions allow it. Remember to feed the fire some gifts before you begin. These could be flowers, herbs, Florida water etc. Call in the directions and helping spirits. Say a prayer and state your intention. Rattle, drum or sing a song to open sacred space.
Use the bright energy of this day to clear denseness in the form of negativity, worry, and frustration from your life. Simply give it to the fire where it will be transformed into light energy. Gather herbs of basil, chamomile, thyme, rosemary, and/or sage and make a prayer bundle with a piece of white paper or cloth. Tie it with a string of red yarn for mother earth. Hold this prayer bundle in your right hand speaking into it all of the things that you are ready to release, that no longer serve you. Ask, "What must I release for my heart and soul to fully blossom in my life?" (This question connects back to the seeds you planted in the spring.) Release and add this to your bundle for the fire.
When you feel that you have cleansed your mind and heart, burn your prayer bundle in the direction of the west. As your prayer bundle is burning, give thanks and do a joyful song or dance that all is well and in perfect order. Show your gratitude for all that is going well, the spring promises that are now being harvested in your life.
You can also light a candle as an alternative and speak into the flame that which you are ready to release, giving thanks that you are clear. Allow the flame to give you a sense of warmth and transformation.
2. Choose a yellow crystal and blow a mantra into it, one that is short, clear and easy to remember. Place it by your bed where you will see it first thing in the morning. Let this crystal remind you to enjoy the sweet nectar of each day.
3. Sweep/smudge away stuck energy from your home and yourself and get things moving. Burn frankincense, juniper, rosemary, and orange to bring the sun power into your home or workplace.
4. Tie a bundle of cinnamon sticks together and hang them over your door. Cinnamon is a hot herb and is said to bring prosperity, healing, protection, passion, spiritual growth and psychic powers. As you are tying your bundle, state your intention with joy in your heart.
5. Plant a Prayer Tree upon which you place specific prayers for those who need healing, for the return to peace where there is no peace, for abundance in areas of the world where there is now poverty and scarcity.
6. Make a small sun wheel garden, either indoors or out using sun herbs such as frankincense, juniper, rosemary and saffron and all yellow or golden flowers. Arrange them in the form of a wheel and fill in the center with tiny golden crystals or glass nuggets. You can breathe in the golden light from your living sun wheel.
7. Cook yourself a meal that consists of yellow and/or orange foods or eat fruits that are yellow, orange or golden, all the while embracing the warm sensation of the color as part of your ritual and celebration.
8. Do a special Tarot reading that focuses on the summer months. I like to use a spread by Marcia Masino, where I pull one major arcana card to represent the spiritual theme and four minor arcana cards to represent the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual events of summer. To do this, you must separate the suits and the major arcana cards from the minor arcana cards. Numbers will tell you the timing of events. The lessons and themes of your reading tend to intensify around the time of the full and new moon.
Happy Summer Solstice!