Working with the solar eclipse and Black New Moon
Soul Garden friends,
This is a time to be aware of and work with the energies of the universe. Two major cosmic events may function as portals to another future and it's up to us to walk through these portals.
The Solar Eclipse
Media has reported quite a bit about the upcoming total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21. A solar eclipse is a New Moon eclipse and it happens when the moon moves right in front of the sun covering it completely as seen from Earth.
Eclipses are gateways to another future in the part of our life being triggered. This particular eclipse is in Leo (leadership, passion, creativity, and pleasure).
Most modern astrologers agree that eclipses are amazing portents of potential change, bringing things back into harmony or balance. We get shoved back onto our true path by these events, whether we're ready or not. What happens by the time of an eclipse can be challenging and yet they almost always work out for the best. The easiest way to deal with an eclipse is to avoid hanging onto the past and surrender to the will of the universe.
The Black Moon
The black (new) moon occurs on August 21st / 22nd. This black moon is also a total solar eclipse, giving it even greater importance. Its cycle continues until the next black moon cycle in Cancer, beginning in June/July 2020.
A black moon is the second new moon in a solar month. The moon is new twice while passing through the same zodiac sign, with the second of those moons being a black moon. Black moons occur roughly every two and a half to three years.
The black moon heralds the birth of a significant new life cycle and comes in two parts: the first new moon which occurred on July 23 provided an opportunity to contemplate coming changes and make any necessary adjustments in current plans, and the actual black moon a month later, which signifies the birth of new beginnings and an important fresh start.
We can use the black moon's energy to prepare for changes in our inner and outer worlds, alterations that may change the course of our life due to this new moon's supercharge. We have up until August 21-22 to instigate any necessary adjustments on our path before the black moon arrives and a new phase is born on August 23.
Once the black moon arrives, we may see a new life theme that develops and evolves across the coming two to three years. This is no ordinary new moon but the birth of a whole new phase.
The 2017 black moon and solar eclipse occurs in the sign of Leo, highlighting the following issues for our reflection:
- How we show up for self and others
- Openness to life and opportunities
- Aligning with passion and purpose
- Creative potential
The new moon is also a dark moon and it's best to just rest and remain open to guidance on this day. For those who wish to do ceremony, the day after the new moon would be ideal.
While the methods and content vary, the purpose of ceremony is always to call in spiritual assistance. Intention is key. Be authentic and create a ceremony that helps you stay connected to your Divine throughout. Below is an example of a ceremony that would work well for the events and energies mentioned in this blog.
- Begin by meditating and setting a powerful intention. What are you asking spirit for? Reflect on what you would like to experience over the next two and a half to three years until the next black moon cycle. How will you grow and align more with your passion and purpose? What in your life deserves your commitment, energy and will? How do you wish to serve your community?
- Gather gifts for Mother Earth (herbs, seeds, holy water or oils).
- Choose a place in nature that you connect deeply with, where you will not be disturbed. Bring your offering and all other items that are a part of your ceremony. You may want to use a prayer stick to blow your intentions into or a written note.
- Sit or lay in your place and relax for a few minutes. Use your breath to release tension in your body and mind.
- Smudge yourself.
- Sprinkle your offerings on the ground before you. Decorate the ground with flowers, leaves, twigs and rocks. You could make a mandala.
- Open sacred space. Say a prayer. Call in the directions. Call in your helpers. Light a covered candle. Remember intention is key. Do what has meaning to you personally. You'll know what to do here.
- Stand facing south. This is the direction of right action, physical healing, and growth. Ask for guidance about your choices and actions over the next few years. See if an animal ally wants to lend its gifts to you for this new phase.
- Face the west direction. This is the place of death, letting go, and emotional healing. What are you releasing to make room for the new? Give it to the setting sun.
- Turn and face the north direction of forgiveness, wisdom and spiritual healing. Call on your ancestors and spirit helpers to show you who and what you need to forgive in your life. What conflicts need to be put to rest? What have you learned about your path so far? Take stock of where you are in the great scheme of things. REFLECT!
- Face the east direction of new beginnings, awakening and mental healing. Give your new moon wishes to the rising sun. Dwell in gratitude and feel the manifestation of your dreams as if it is already happening. Open to the possibilities of the new journey.
- Last feel into your sacred heart, your place of union and love. Thank yourself for showing up and doing your best. Love yourself unconditionally for a moment. Extend that love to your family and friends, community and the world.
- Offer a gift to your Divine. Play an instrument and/or sing. Read a poem. Do a chant.
- Close sacred space and thank your spirit helpers.
- Celebrate with friends or on your own. Do something special for yourself. If you wrote down your new moon/black moon wishes, it may be helpful to keep them in a little alchemy/prayer box on your altar. This way you could check back in later to see if you are on proper course with your soul.
The moon is associated with emotions, femininity, mothers, the Goddess, cycles, healing the past, shadow work, nourishment, moods, sensitivity, the subconscious, and more. Working with the moon cycles has been life changing for me. It is such a powerful process and it has helped me to remember that I am a part of something much bigger. We are one with the earth and skies and all that lies beyond.
May you find your way through this powerful transition and come out on the other side wiser and more in tune with your soul's destiny.